Residents love the fact that Schooner Bay is a laid back community tucked away from everything else on the island of Great Abaco.
It’s a sanctuary where you can relax, unwind, and let your kids run around outside without having to keep an eye on them every second.
However, when you want to do things like go to the bank and stock up on groceries, it’s nice to know that there’s a city nearby with all of the accommodations you need.
That city is Marsh Harbour – the central hub for shopping and transportation in Great Abaco. It’s also a great place to hang out for tourists and locals with plenty of restaurants, bars, beaches, and fun activities for the entire family to enjoy.
Marsh Harbour, Bahamas
Marsh Harbour is the commercial center of The Abacos -- home to several marinas and the largest international airport on the island. Marsh Harbour is about a 30-minute drive from Schooner Bay making it easy to run errands and gather supplies for your home.
Whether you're traveling by air or sea, Marsh Harbour is the first stop for most visitors arriving in the Abacos. Marsh Harbour is the third-largest city in The Bahamas and is adored for its friendly people and small-town feel.
Stores and Provisions
Marsh Harbour has a variety of shops, restaurants, resorts, grocery stores, banks, and all of the other essential amenities you need. It's also one of the easiest harbours to enter by boat and has several full-service marinas.
Marsh Harbour is the place to get cash because it's one of the only nearby towns where you can get to a bank or ATM. It's also the best place to go for groceries, beverages, and other household supplies.
Banking and ATM
- Commonwealth Bank; 242-367-2370. ATM.
- Fidelity / Western Union Bank Bahamas; 242-367-3135. Money transfers.
- FirstCaribbean International Bank; 242-367-2166. ATM.
- Royal Bank of Canada; 242-367-2420. ATM.
- ScotiaBank; 242-367-2141. ATM.
- 700 Wines & Spirits; 242-367-2151.
- Bristol Wines & Spirits; 242-367-2180.
- A&P Auto Rentals; 242-367-2655.
- Bargain Car Rental; 242-367-0500.
- Quality Star Car Rentals; 242-367-2978.
- Rental Wheels Ltd; 242-367-4643.
- Sea Star Car Rentals; 242-367-4887.
- Abaco Groceries; 242-367-0278.
- Maxwell's Supermarket; 242-367-7283
- Price Right LTD; 242-367-7283.
Medical and Health
- Abaco Family Medicine; 242-367-2295.
- Abaco Island Pharmacy; 242-367-2544.
- Marsh Harbour Medical Centre; 242-367-0050.
- Marsh Harbour Post Office; 242-367-2571.
Things To Do in Marsh Harbour
Since Marsh Harbour is the commercial hub of Great Abaco, there are plenty of fun activities for the entire family to enjoy. Whether you want to grab some food and drinks, rent a boat and explore the nearby islands, or take a tour -- you can find it all here.
Abaco is the boating and fishing capital of The Bahamas (and the world). The best way to explore the surrounding cays and islands is by bringing your own boat or renting one.
- Abaco Beach Resort. The marina has 198 fully protected slips and a ton of amenities. 242-367–2158.
- Harbour View Marina. This marina has extra-wide slips and 100-foot piers to accommodate boats with unlimited beam size, a private heated swimming pool, wireless Internet, and Snappas Restaurant. 242-367–3910.
- The Jib Room. This restaurant features a marina with 68 slips located near Pelican Shores. 242-367–2700.
- Mangoes Marina. A full-service marina with 29 slips and a full range of amenities that include onshore showers, a pool, and a small cabana where you can grill your day's catch. 242-367–4996.
- Bluewave Boat Rentals. Boats range from 21 to 33 feet, and rental includes access to the pool and other marina facilities. 242-367–3910.
- The Moorings. The Moorings rents single and double-hull boats with up to four cabins. 242-367–4000.
- CJ's Abaco Dorado Boat Rental. CJ's has a wide selection of rental boats to fit every budget. 242-367–1035.
The Abacos are amazing for fishing, where you'll find bonefish on the flats, yellowtail and grouper on the reefs, or marlin and tuna in the deeps. Our favorite fishing lodge is The Blackfly Lodge located in Schooner Bay. However, there are a couple of other places to check out if you're in Marsh Harbour
- Justin Sands. Justin was the Abacos' bonefish champ for two years running and he will guide you in the Marls or around Snake Cay, Little Harbour, and Cherokee Sound. 242-367–3526.
- Pinder's Bonefishing. Buddy Pinder has more than 20 years' experience in the local waters and provides year-round excursions in the Marls, a maze of mangroves and flats on the western side of Abaco. 242-366–2163.
Scuba Diving and Snorkeling
The Bahamas is one of the best places in the world for diving and snorkeling and there are several ideal areas to check out near Marsh Harbour, including the reef behind Guana Cay, Fowl Cay National Reserve, Pelican Cays National Park, and Mermaid Beach.
- Dive Abaco. Dive Abaco offers scuba and snorkeling trips where you get to explore reefs, tunnels, caverns, and shipwrecks. 386-957-7902.
Let the experts guide you so you can see the best of the Abacos -- including the islands and cays, wildlife, and everything in between.
- Cruise Abaco. Cruise Abaco offers a variety of boat charters to Man-o-War, Hope Town, and Guana Cay. 321-473-4223.
- Lucayan Nature Tours. Explore the hidden treasures that few tourists ever see of Abaco. 242-477-5953.
The Best Restaurants in Marsh Harbour
- Angler's Restaurant. Enjoy white tablecloths with fresh orchid arrangements while overlooking gleaming rows of yachts moored in the Boat Harbour Marina at the Abaco Beach Resort. Everyone is welcome at Angler's, where it's not uncommon to see guests dressed in cocktail attire fresh off a yacht dining alongside families dressed casually.
- Curly Tails Restaurant and Bar. Choose between a casual meal at the large bar upstairs or an upscale dinner in the downstairs air-conditioned dining room. Be sure to check out the sunset happy hour and try a frozen Tail Curler or a Curlytini. There's also live music every Thursday and Saturday night.
- Junovia's Diner. Do you want an authentic Bahamian breakfast? This is the place to try! Junovia's closes early on weekdays at 5 pm and on weekends it's only open for breakfast.
- Snappas. A popular spot amongst in-the-know boat people and locals, Snappas offers incredible appetizers, an open-air deck, and daily happy hours. They also have live music on Wednesday and Saturday nights!
- The Bae. The Bae is a newer restaurant located in Marsh Harbour that’s quickly gaining a reputation for having the best food in Abaco – you’ll just have to try it to judge for yourself. Whether you choose to sit on the deck or the sand, the views are amazing. Be sure to check out their sunset happy hour!
- Wally's. This two-story, pink colonial villa is the place to go for good food, potent rum cocktails, and serious people-watching. Inside you'll find a nice bar, a boutique, and three dining rooms, all decorated with Haitian-style paintings. The menu includes creamy curried shrimp, mahimahi Provençal, or a filet mignon smothered in a mushroom sauce, as well as a daily sashimi.
Living Near Marsh Harbour
Marsh Harbour is a great place to run errands and grab a delicious meal, but most people prefer to live in more secluded locations on the island. Just a short drive from Marsh Harbour, you'll find Schooner Bay -- a private community with its own harbour, full-service marina, and luxury homes.
Whether you're looking for a retirement home, a vacation home for your family, or a property that can generate rental income, we can help. Click the link below to check out our homes!